No Fixed Amount
Type of Program:
Grant & Loan /Equity /Investment
This program supports Canadian production companies looking to finance the production and/or post-production stage of their feature film project(s).
Comments on Funding:
Telefilm’s financing may not exceed:
- 1For projects whose Canadian budget is less than $1.5 million: the lesser of 49% of eligible Canadianproduction costs or $500,000;
- 2For projects whose Canadian budget is between $1.5 million and $3.5 million: one third of eligible Canadian production costs;
- 3For projects whose Canadian budget is greater than $3.5 million:
Generally, the form of Telefilm’s financial participation will vary depending on the total project budget and, in certain scenarios, s the producer’s choice from among the following options:
- 1For projects with budgets under $2.5 million: choice between a non-repayable contribution or an equity investment repayable at a rate of 10% of the Applicant’s entitlement to the production revenues, for a period of two years from the starting date of the project’s commercial exploitation;
- 2For projects with budgets of $2.5 million and above: Choice between a repayable advance or a repayable equity investment.
Telefilm greenlight financial participation will generally not exceed 80% of eligible costs, up to a maximum of $250,000 and will be provided as an advance against Telefilm’s production financing.
However, Telefilm may, at its discretion, consider granting a higher greenlight pre-production advance if the production financing is complex and time is of the essence to incur certain expenses. In such case, the greenlight financial participation may not exceed the lesser of:
- 180% of eligible costs;
- 325% of the amount of financial participation indicated in the production commitment letter.
A greenlight advance is only available at Telefilm’s discretion for higher-budget projects that have already received a commitment letter from Telefilm for financing in the amount of at least $1.5 million.
When It Ends:
January 17, 2022 for Big Budget Productions
April 25, 2022 for Big Budget Productions
February 21, 2022 for Low Budget Productions
August 31, 2022 for Post-Production Applications – French-Language Projects - All budget levels
August 31, 2022 for Production Program –Audiovisual Treaty Co-productions with a Minority Canadian Co-producer – All Budget Levels
The applicant must:
Broadcaster-affiliated production companies based outside of Quebec that meet the basic eligibility criteria are eligible to apply.
Applicants must submit the appropriate application form, duly completed and signed, together with all required documentation, via Dialogue.
All documentation required to be submitted after the application is submitted must also be submitted on-line through Dialogue.
Applications for audiovisual co-productions recommendations must be done separately at the earliest of: 40% of the financing confirmed (exclusive of tax credits) or after an offer of financing from Telefilm has been received and, in all cases, no later than 30 days before the start of principal photography.
Applicants must complete the online application form and upload the documents below:
- 1Incorporation Certificate;
- 2Most Recent Script;
- 3Summary of Changes to Screenplay (if applicable) - for production applications only. A description of material changes to the script since its last production application to Telefilm.
- 4Rough Cut (or equivalent before Picture Lock) - for post-production applications only.
- 5Creative Completion Plan - for post-production applications only. A proposal that outlines the postproduction activities and explains how they will serve to attract the intended audience.
- 6Director’s Vision statement;
- 7Previous Work of Director(s), if applicable – A document including links to selected works and/or a curated selection of excerpts from works by the Director(s) to demonstrate aesthetic, expertise and capacity to realize the proposed vision.
- 8Track Record Summary for all Producers, Directors and Screenwriters;
- 9Cast List - Clearly identifying confirmed vs pending status and the nationality of performers.
- 10Promotion and Marketing Plan for all projects where there is a distributor attached.
- 11Summary of Audience Reach / Promotional Strategy;
- 12Firm Commitment from a Canadian Distributor for applications where the production budget is $3.5M or more or a distributor is attached.
- 13International Sales Agent Agreement(s) including 3rd Party Sales Projections - if a sales agent is attached.
- 14Coproduction and/or Joint Venture Agreement(s) as applicable.
- 15Declaration Form Designation of Main Applicant and Score Sharing If more than one Canadian applicant for the same project. (Form available on Telefilm’s website).
- 16Details of All Confirmed and Projected Financing - fully executed commitment letters and short-form agreements are acceptable at this stage.
- 17Production Budget;
- 18Declaration of Costs Incurred and Paid to Date for all postproduction applications.
- 19Description of Chain of Title - a complete description of the project’s development history, demonstrating clear chain of title.
- 20Community Engagement Plan;
- 21Sustainability Plan – optional.