This guide for business owners covers current Department of National Defence funding programs, including grants, and other types of financing for entrepreneurs.
This is our dedicated “hub” page for Department of National Defence funding programs. We’ll continuously update this page to reflect changes in programs – so bookmark this page and check back often for updates!
Department of National Defence Mandate
The Department of National Defence (DND) supports the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) who serve on the sea, on land, and in the air with the Navy, Army, Air Force and Special Forces to defend Canadians’ interests at home and abroad.
The Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces have complementary roles to play in:
- Providing advice and support to the Minister of National Defence,
- Implementing Government decisions regarding the defence of Canadian interests at home and abroad.
The Canadian Armed Forces serve on the sea, on land, and in the air, with the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army, the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command, supported by the civilian employees of the Department of National Defence.
Canada’s Defence Policy presents a new strategic vision for defence: Strong, Secure, Engaged. This is a vision in which Canada is:
- Strong at home, with a military ready and able to defend its sovereignty, and to assist in times of natural disaster, support search and rescue, or respond to other emergencies;
- Secure in North America, active in a renewed defence partnership in the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) and with the United States to monitor and defend continental airspace and ocean areas;
- Engaged in the world, with the Canadian Armed Forces doing its part in Canada’s contributions to a more stable, peaceful world, including through peace support operations and peacekeeping.
Department of National Defence Priorities
The Department’s priorities are designed to support Canada’s defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged (SSE) by:
You can learn about the Department of National Defence’s priorities by reading Canada’s defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged.
Department of National Defence Funding Programs
Below are links to the Department’s specific programs: