This guide for business owners covers current Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) funding programs, including grants, and other types of financing that support research and development (R&D) collaborations between Canadian researchers and partners from the private sector.
This is our dedicated “hub” page for Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada funding programs. We’ll continuously update this page to reflect changes in programs – so bookmark this page and check back often for updates!
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Mandate
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) is a departmental corporation of the Government of Canada created in 1978. . It is funded directly by Parliament and reports to it through the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry.
NSERC’s vision is to help make Canada a country of discoverers and innovators for the benefit of all Canadians. It invests in People, Discovery and Innovation through partnerships and programs that support post-secondary research in the natural sciences and engineering.
The functions of NSERC, based on the authority and responsibility assigned to it under the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Act (1976-1977, c.24), are to:
- Promote and assist research in the natural sciences and engineering, other than the health sciences; and
- Advise the Minister in respect of such matters relating to such research as the Minister may refer to the Council for its consideration.
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Funding Programs
Below are links to the NSERC’s specific programs involving R&D partnerships between researchers and industry:
Alliance funding supports R&D collaborations between Canadian university researchers and partners from the private, public or not-for-profit sectors.
- Alliance Missions grants: Anthropogenic greenhouse gas research
- NSERC Alliance and Alberta Innovates Campus Alberta Small Business Engagement (CASBE) Stream II – at least one Alberta SME as industry partner
- NSERC Alliance / Engage grants and Ontario Centre of Innovation (OCI) Voucher for Innovation and Productivity (VIP):
- NSERC Alliance-Mitacs Accelerate grants
- NSERC Alliance and Research Manitoba Accelerate, Commercialize, Transform (ACT) – at least one Manitoba-based SME as partner
The College and Community Innovation program is tri-agency funding that provides innovative solutions for local and regional challenges faced by businesses, government and communities, through the expertise of Canadian colleges, CEGEPs and polytechnics.
Commercialization grants and innovation prizes support commercialization and recognize outstanding innovation in the natural sciences and engineering.
The following funding opportunity supports the National Quantum Strategy by advancing Canada’s research, innovation and talent development in quantum science and technology through domestic and international collaborations.