This guide for business owners covers current Ministry of Finance funding programs, including tax credits, tax refunds and rebates for entrepreneurs.
This is our dedicated “hub” page for Ministry of Finance funding programs. We’ll continuously update this page to reflect changes in programs – so bookmark this page and check back often for updates!
Ministry of Finance Mandate
The Ministry of Finance supports a strong economic, fiscal and investment climate for Ontario, as well as a dynamic, innovative and growing economy across five core lines of business:
- Fiscal, tax, economic and statistics policy,
- Revenue generation,
- Debt management,
- Intergovernmental fiscal relations, and
- Financial services regulation.
The Ministry ensures that spending is directed to the highest priority needs while reducing the debt burden; supports a fair, efficient and competitive tax system; works with the federal government to represent Ontario’s interests with respect to fiscal arrangements; and uses a modern and risk-based approach to regulating the financial services sector.
The Ministry is enhancing public-facing services by enabling digital service delivery; working collaboratively with its operational and regulatory agencies on modernization efforts; and continuing work that addresses the underground economy.
The Ministry also plays an integral role in the government’s response to COVID‑19 and will support post-pandemic economic recovery efforts.
Types of Funding Ministry of Finance Offers
The Ministry of Finance offers:
To get your refund or rebate faster, use the Direct Deposit service the Ontario Ministry of Finance offers! It’s easy and secure.
Ministry of Finance Funding Programs
Below are links to Ministry of Finance’s specific programs by types of funding:
Tax credits and benefits for various audiences:
- The Co-operative Education Tax Credit is for employers who hire students enrolled in a co-operative education program at an Ontario university or college
- The cultural media tax credits are: the Ontario Book Publishing Tax Credit, the Ontario Computer Animation and Special Effects Tax Credit, the Ontario Film and Television Tax Credit, the Ontario Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit, and the Ontario Production Services Tax Credit . In Ontario, these tax credits are administered by Ontario Creates .
- The research and innovation tax credits are administered by the Canada Revenue Agency on behalf of Ontario through the federal income tax system. The specific tax credits are: the Ontario Business Research Institute Tax Credit, the Ontario Innovation Tax Credit and the Ontario Research and Development Tax Credit.
- The Regional Opportunities Investment Tax Credit supports business investment, economic growth and job creation in designated regions across the province that lagged in employment growth between 2009 and 2019. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers tax credits on behalf of Ontario.
- The Political Contribution Tax Credit for Corporations is for corporations who participated in the provincial political process by making a financial contribution to an Ontario candidate, constituency association, or political party before January 1, 2017. This tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- The Small Beer Manufacturers Tax Credit supports beer manufacturers with permanent establishments in Ontario. They may qualify in respect of eligible sales of draft and non‑draft beer sold to purchasers in Ontario during a sales year, if they meet certain criteria, including limits on production.
- The Community Food Program Donation Tax Credit for Farmers supports farmers who donate agricultural products to eligible community food programs in Ontario.
- The Ontario Dividend Tax Credit is intended to compensate individual shareholders for income tax paid by Canadian companies in which they have invested.
- The Ontario Focused Flow-Through Share Tax Credit is applicable to investors that have flow-through shares in a mining and exploration corporation.
Refunds and rebates
- The Ontario Retail Sales Tax for Used Vehicles Purchased Privately for the used vehicles they purchased.
- The Refund of Retail Sales Tax on Insurance or Benefit Plan Premiums for the premiums they paid on insurances or benefit plans.