This guide for business owners covers current Toronto Metropolitan University Zones programs, including incubators, grants and other types of support for entrepreneurs.
This is our dedicated “hub” page for Toronto Metropolitan University Zones programs for entrepreneurs. We’ll continuously update this page to reflect changes in programs – so bookmark this page and check back often for updates!
Toronto Metropolitan University Zones
Toronto Metropolitan is home to 10 zones – each with a focus on a different industry – that provide opportunities to shape initiatives from the ground up and gain real world experience.
Apart from the 10 zones, the Brampton Venture Zone (BVZ) is part of Toronto Metropolitan University’s Zone Learning network, one of the most respected university-based innovation ecosystems in the world. Zone Learning is for anyone who wants to get practical experience in what it takes to build an initiative/venture from the ground-up. Zones can help you grow your network, gain experience, build your resume and even access funding.
Toronto Metropolitan’s 10 zones are incubators or spaces where people come together to brainstorm, kickstart projects, and build startups. Each zone offers one-on-one mentorship from experts as well as access to state of the art workspaces and technologies. With zones you can develop your own ideas or put your skills to work by collaborating with a team.
Brampton Venture Zone, a joint partnership between the City of Brampton and Toronto Metropolitan University, is a pre-seed, non-equity incubator that is dedicated to building and growing early stage, high potential technology startups in Brampton. BVZ enables connections between aspiring entrepreneurs, current founders, industry experts, funders, and customers to build solutions that address hyperlocal issues in the community.
Types of Support the Toronto Metropolitan University Zones Offer
TheToronto Metropolitan University Zones offer incubator and pre-incubator programs, grants, and more.
Toronto Metropolitan University Zones Programs
Below are links to the Toronto Metropolitan University Zones specific programs:
- The Biomedical Zone helps early-stage health technology companies validate their solutions directly in a hospital setting with clinicians, business experts and innovative thinkers. The Business Acceleration & Clinical Engagement (BACE) Program is the Biomedical Zone’s keystone program that provides startups and students with the business and clinical knowledge they need to accelerate their development.
- The Clean Energy Zone, housed in Toronto Metropolitan University’s Centre for Urban Energy (CUE), is an incubator focused on clean, sustainable energy innovations including electric vehicles, renewable energy, energy storage and distribution, microgrids and net-zero city building.
- The Design Fabrication Zone is an interdisciplinary hub for design and fabrication that strategically propels early-stage ideas for inventions, businesses and installations along the continuum from design to prototype to mass manufacturing.
- The DMZ is a leading startup incubator equipping the next generation of leading tech entrepreneurs with the tools needed to build, launch, and scale highly impactful startups.
- The Fashion Zone is an interdisciplinary incubator that provides growth and funding opportunities that ignite and inspire fashion innovation in Canada.
- The Innovation Boost Zone (IBZ) is an early-stage startup incubator that strives to support deep tech startups.
- The Legal Innovation Zone is a legal tech incubator that supports and advises legal tech startups in growing their businesses. It works with companies at any stage of development that have legal system or technology based ideas. The Legal Innovation Zone programs are:
- Put simply, the Science Discovery Zone (SDZ) is an incubator of people and ideas. It helps people take evidence-based approaches to test big ideas and discover new ventures. SDZ’s program streams are:
- Participate stream
- Ideate stream
- Validate stream
- The Social Ventures Zone is the home of social innovators at Canada’s most entrepreneurial university. It work with students, alumni, faculty and people from the broader community to build social ventures that create real impact. Click here to check for funding programs’ updates.
- The Transmedia Zone is a community focused incubator for innovation and creative experimentation in storytelling across entertainment media platforms.
- Inspire is a 5-week market-validation program to inspire “entrecurious” individuals in becoming full-time technology entrepreneurs.
- Launch is a virtual 8 month, non-equity based incubator program designed for MVP-ready technology startups to launch in the market.
- BVZ Entrepreneurship Fund:
- BVZ Inspire Grant
- BVZ Launch (Incubator) Fellowships
Toronto Metropolitan University Zones Contact and Social Media
|Zone||Contact details||Social Media|
|Biomedical Zone||Li Ka-Shing Knowledge Institute, 7th Floor 209 Victoria Street Toronto, ON M5B 1T8 Phone: 416-864-6060, ext. 77123 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube|
|Clean Energy Zone @Toronto Metropolitan University’s Centre for Urban Energy (CUE)||CUI 233 44 Gerrard Street East Toronto, ON M5B 1G3 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 552974|
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube|
|Design Fabrication Zone @The Innovation Studio at The Creative School||110 Bond Street Toronto, ON M5B 1X8 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 553240|
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Instagram|
|DMZ||10 Dundas Street East, 6th Floor Toronto, Canada M5B 2G9 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 552072|
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram TikTok|
|The Fashion Zone @The Innovation Studio at The Creative School||110 Bond Street Toronto, ON M5B 1X8 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 5553561|
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn|
|Innovation Boost Zone (IBZ) @The Centre of Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CEIE)||20 Dundas W – Suite 921 Toronto, Ontario M5G 2H1 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 2646|
Email: email@example.com Online contact form
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Instagram|
|Legal Innovation Zone||10 Dundas St. East (10th floor), Suite 1002 Toronto, ON M5B 2G9 Phone: 416-848-1202|
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Online contact form
|Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram|
|Science Discovery Zone (SDZ)||44 Gerrard St. E, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1G3 Email: email@example.com Online contact form||Facebook Twitter LinkedIn|
|Social Ventures Zone||Toronto Metropolitan University KHS 45 350 Victoria St. Toronto, Ontario M5B 2K3 Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 7255|
|Twitter LinkedIn Instagram|
|Transmedia Zone @The Innovation Studio at The Creative School||The Innovation Studio, 110 Bond Street, Toronto, ON, M5B 1X8 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Online contact form||Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram|
|Brampton Venture Zone by TMU||1 Nelson St W, Unit 101 Brampton, ON L6X 1B6 Email: email@example.com Online contact form||Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube|