Comments on Funding:
Funding is a grant of up to:
- $250,000 per year for book publishers;
- $120,000 per year for magazine publishers; and
- $300,000 per year for book and magazine publishers.
The applicant must:
provide information about their organization’s:
a) editorial vision, context and process;
b) past cycle of funding;
c) past and upcoming publishing activities;
d) commitment to reflecting the diversity of Canada;
e) contribution to the development of Canadian literature;
f) marketing, promotion and distribution strategies;
g) operations, including administrative structure, planning and financial health;
h) professional conditions for writers, including fees and royalties; and
i) aims and objectives for their next funding cycle.
speak with a Canada Council Program Officer before submitting an application to this component for the first time.
Applicants must submit:
- a financial summary (2 past, current and 2 future years);
- financial statements;
- a blank sample contract with writers;
- appendix on titles/writers and activities;
Applicant (book publishers) must submit:
- eligible literary titles published during the last cycle, up to a maximum of 20 (by mail, postmarked on or before the deadline date);
- catalogue; and
- appendix with eligible titles and support activities, past and upcoming.
Applicant (magazine publishers) must submit:
- for print magazines – 8 copies of 4 magazine issues published in the last cycle (by mail, postmarked on or before the deadline date);
- for electronic magazines –hyperlinks to 4 magazine issues published in the last cycle;
- a fee schedule for writers; and
- appendix with writers and activities, past and upcoming.