City of Cornwall – Brownfield Program: Environmental Site Assessment
The Environmental Site Assessment assistance is provided to specify the extent of contamination through partial funding of an Environmental Site Assessment (Phase 2 or 3).
Comments on Funding:
Funding is available on a matching basis for 50% of study costs, to a maximum of $15,000.
a) Call or email to set up an initial meeting with Dana McLean, development Coordinator to discuss applicant’s property and building renovations, the application process, timelines and identify any additional requirements, such as building permits.
b) If applicant’s plans for renovation require architectural plans for a building permit, he can submit a request for funding for the design fees.
c) A list of qualified professionals will be provided to help applicants choose a designer/architect/ engineer depending on their needs.
Concept Plans and estimates
a) Once applicants have their concept design plans, they can contact contractors to ask them to provide estimates for each of the areas of work based on the finalized plans, such as windows, store front and interior renovations which may include electrical and plumbing.
b) Staff will help applicants meet with other city departments for any additional requirements, such as permits.
c) Once you have the estimates you may apply for funding for the renovation work.
a)The application is reviewed by the Cornwall Planning Programs evaluation group (CPPEG), at the beginning of the month.
b) CPPEG then makes a recommendation for your application and it is presented to the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) mid-month for approval.
c) The recommended approval then proceeds to City Council for final approval for the funding request.
a) Any work started prior to the final approval by City Council is not eligible for funding.
b) Grant funding may be dispersed through a request for progress payments or when work is completed and a final inspection has been received.
Applicants must submit with their application:
- rehabilitation plan/budget and work plan;
- quote of study costs and work proposal from qualified consultant(s);
- evidence of suspected/potential site impairment or actual (evidenced) environmental contamination, as evidenced by existing ESA’s, on the property (please attach available reports/documentation – e.g. Phase I ESA and greater);
- details of the work plan for the environmental study(ies) proposed for the property (i.e. Phase II ESA or, if already complete, a Phase III Remedial Action Plan. This may also include such items as a Risk Assessment (RA) Report or re-evaluation of existing Phase I, II and III ESA’s based on need to update documentation); and
- a copy of the proposal from the consultant. The City of Cornwall will also require a copy of the Final Report(s) and technical appendices.
- a Letter of Authorization from the registered owners indicating support for the subject Applicant(s) to proceed accordingly, if the Applicant(s) are not the registered owners of the property subject to this Brownfields Program Application.
- agreement to provide copies of all applicable paid invoices and final study(ies).
Note: An ESA and related Record of Site Condition (RSC) must be prepared by an environmental consulting firm certified for this purpose by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment under the Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Regulation 153/04. This consultant is commonly referred to as the ‘Qualified Person’ (QP).
When It Ends: