No Fixed Amount
Type of Program:
All Comprehensive Music Company Sound Recording component applications must include the creation or licensing of a new, previously unreleased qualifying album.
Comments on Funding:
Funding under this component is at up to 75% of the total eligible budget of the Comprehensive Music Company application.
Comprehensive Music Company funding is divided into two phases.
In Phase 1, the maximum available funding is $82,500 per project.
In Phase 2, you may receive an additional $40,000 per project, provided that the funded sound recording has met the qualifying threshold* for the genre. Note that Phase 2 funding must be applied for within the later of two years from the original submission date or six months after the commercial release of the sound recording. Phase 2 funding is only available if the fiscal year maximum has not already been met.
Recipient Accessibility Support Fund: FACTOR grant recipients are eligible for top-up support to their project funding of up to $5,000 each fiscal year, not to exceed $5,000 per project for costs related to accessibility. Eligible costs claimed under this fund will be reimbursed at 100%.
When It Ends:
This means the Canadian record label that has already signed the artist, or has already licensed the sound recording, or has an option to license the sound recording. If the artist owns the underlying copyright in the masters but has licensed the sound recording to a record label, the label must be the Applicant.
Create and submit on Factor online system: a User Profile ((log-in data), an Applicant Profile (data of the person or the company who will be legally and financially responsible for the funded project).
Must have a reviewed and rated Applicant Profile and access to an Artist Profile (something very similar to a CV, information on the artist and his work).
- 1submit online a budget and/or complete project details each time the applicant requests funding for a component of its project, including a description of the goals, expected results, and timelines for completing each component and the project as a whole.
- 2submit a detailed marketing plan when applying for marketing support.
- 3compile and organize all invoices, receipts and proofs of payment; then enter the amounts being claimed into the FACTOR Cost Report, which can be downloaded from the Budget page of the Completion. Applicants must upload the Cost Report and all related expense documentation, then complete and submit all other sections of the Completion (including Budget, Results, Component Information, Public Funding).
- 4submit up to three Letters of Direction if they prefer to have FACTOR pay certain suppliers directly.
All applications must include the Sound Recording component. Applicants may apply for any other component funding at the same time as the Sound Recording, or after the sound recording is approved. Multiple, repeat repeat component applications are possible as appropriate for the project’s timeline, subject to the program or annual limits.
Other Things to Note:
- 1Logo and Acknowledgment Requirements: all recipients of funding from this component must acknowledge FACTOR on all physical and digital materials, all press releases and promotional material funded by this component, and on the artist’s website. See FACTOR’s Logo and Acknowledgment Guide.
- 2Program guidelines for 2021-2022 were published in July 2021.