Type of Program:
Grant & Loan
The Research and Innovation Stream will support pre-market innovation, including research, development, demonstration and commercialization activities, to develop transformative clean technologies and enable the expansion of current technologies, in 3 priority areas:
- 1Green energy and energy efficiency;
- 2Precision agriculture;
Comments on Funding:
Funding is available in the form of repayable and non-repayable contributions non-repayable contribution of up to $2 million per project.
The maximum amount payable to a recipient with multiple projects will generally not exceed $5 million.
Contributions will be:
- 1non-repayable for research, development and demonstration activities;
- 2repayable where activities involve commercialization and scale-up. Contributions will be repaid over a period of up to 10 years following project completion. Repayments will normally begin 1 year following the completion of the project. Interest is not charged on the contribution funding, with the exception of late payments and debts owed to the Crown, should such situations arise.
Eligible project costs will normally be shared as follows:
- 1a maximum contribution of 50% from the program and a minimum contribution of 50% from the applicant.
- 2The program may provide a more favourable cost-share ratio (60:40) where the majority of the business (more than 50%) is owned or led by one or more under-represented groups. Under-represented groups include:
Women, Youth, aged 35 or under, Indigenous groups, Visible minorities, and Persons with disabilities.
The maximum level of total government funding (federal, provincial/territorial, and municipal funding) will generally not exceed 75% of eligible costs per project.
When It Ends:
March 31, 2028
Applicants must be:
complete a Project Summary form and send it by email at email@example.com . This form will help to determine their project’s eligibility and alignment with program criteria and priorities prior to preparing a full application. It will also facilitate a discussion between applicants and program staff about the project.
complete a Project Application form, if invited to. Program staff would provide the form and instructions.
Project application packages will require submission of the following documents:
- 1Project Application Form;
- 2Work plan (Annex A);
- 3Budget (Annex B);
- 4GHG Outcomes Worksheet (data to calculate the estimated GHG impact resulting from the proposed project);
- 5Business plan - must demonstrate market need/demand and/or research data, trial tests and analysis information substantiating the innovation component of the project and its readiness for demonstration, commercialization and eventually adoption.
- 6Certificate of Incorporation or Articles of Incorporation;
- 7Financial statements (audited or review engagement) for the past 2 years or since the date of organization start-up. Statements must include an income statement, a balance sheet, and a cash flow.
- 8Letters of financial support from all organizations providing a cash contribution to the project as per the Budget, if applicable;
- 9Project endorsement letters/ Letters of support from organizations indicating they believe there is a need for the proposed project for the sector.
- 10Capital asset pre-approval for capital costs to be purchased for the project that are $10,000 or more.
Other Things to Note:
- 1Important changes have been made to the Agricultural Clean Technology (ACT) Program. The program now has 2 streams: Research and Innovation Stream and Adoption Stream.
- 2Program funding for the Research and Innovation Stream is $50 million over 7 years, with this stream ending March 31, 2028.