Government of Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) – Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program
The Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program (PEFIP) aims to help supply-managed poultry and egg producers adapt to market changes resulting from the implementation of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP). The program supports on-farm investments in:
- increasing efficiency or productivity
- improving on-farm food safety and biosecurity,
- improving environmental sustainability,
- responding to consumer preferences (improving animal welfare, adopting alternative housing systems, transitioning to organic production, etc.).
Comments on Funding:
- Funding will take the form of non-repayable contributions.
- Producers’ share of quota/production will be determined based on quota holdings on January 1, 2021.
- Applicants must register with the program and have their license information verified to confirm their maximum funding amount.
- Eligible project costs will normally be shared between AAFC and the applicant (a maximum of 70% from AAFC and a minimum of 30% from the applicant).
- Subject to eligibility criteria AAFC may provide up to 85% of eligible project costs for Young Producer(s) who were 35 years old or younger on January 1, 2021 (regardless of how old they are at the time of application).
- The maximum level of total government funding cannot exceed 85% of eligible costs per project
- poultry and/or egg producers holding quota,
- poultry and/or egg producers licensed, or equivalent, by a provincial marketing agency, Atlantic Canada Hatching Egg Producers,
- poultry and/or egg producers under new entrant programs with loaned quota and/or whole-farm leases with loaned quota at the time of the calculation.
The term ‘poultry and/or egg producers’ includes Canadian:
- chicken producers,
- turkey producers,
- turkey breeders,
- egg producers,
- broiler hatching egg producers.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada works with the national and provincial organizations who represent the poultry and egg sectors to establish and confirm eligible producers. Poultry and egg producers not identified above, and educational and/or academic institutions holding quota are ineligible.
The applicant must:
register with the program using the Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program Online System (PEFIPOS; create a “User” profile for the individual and a “Participant” profile for the entity);
Applicants must submit a complete Project Application including:
- supporting documentation for eligible costs (such as quotes, invoices, proof of payment);
- If relevant, a copy of the organization’s Articles of Incorporation (or other similar documentation in respect of a cooperative or trust);
- proof of financing (optional);
- proof of activity (for retroactive activities).
The above materials can be uploaded to the PEFIPOS on the “Attachments” tab of a Project Application.
Other Things to Note:
- PEFIP is a 10 year program (beginning 2021-2022) providing almost $647 million to help supply-managed poultry and egg producers adapt to market changes resulting from the implementation of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
- Applicants have the flexibility to seek funding for eligible activities that started on or after March 19, 2019. The project activities must be completed by March 31, 2031.
- Project Applications must be received before March 31, 2030, which is the end of the 9th year of the program. To help ensure that program funding is fully utilized, PEFIP may re-allocate (in consultation with the national marketing organizations) any unused funding in the program’s 10th and final year in 2031.
When It Ends:
March 31, 2030