Type of Program:
The Ontario Junior Exploration Program (OJEP) is an initiative of the Ontario government that will help attract investment in early exploration, expand the pipeline of mineral development projects, including critical minerals, and lead to more mines and jobs in Ontario.
Junior mining companies (non-producers) in Ontario that meet the program’s eligibility requirements may apply for funding up to $200,000 per project. Companies can include costs up to $10,000, within the $200,000 maximum assistance, to build Indigenous capacity.
Comments on Funding:
Funding is 50% of project costs (exploration expenditures) up to $200,000 per project.
Eligible Indigenous capacity activities are eligible for funding at up to a maximum of $10,000 (within the total approved funding for the project).
When It Ends:
February 15, 2022
enroll in Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON) and create a “ONe-key” account. Setting up an account may take up to five (5) business days so allow at least one week to register before starting the application process.
download, fill out and upload their completed application and the required supporting documentation as attachments to Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON).
submit applications online through Transfer Payment Ontario by no later than February 15, 2022 for Year 2. After submitting the application, applicants will receive a confirmation email. If you have not received a confirmation email within 48 hours of your submission, please call TPON Client Care at 1-855-216-3090 or 416-325-6691.
For Year 2, applicants can incur costs on or after April 1, 2022 to February 15, 2023. A company can only apply for funding for one project per intake period.
Applicants must attach the following information to their TPON application:
- 1Items submitted to the ministry as part of your application for a plan or permit, including:
- 2If proposing a project activity that does not require a plan or permit, please provide the following:
- 3Copy of permit issued by the ministry or proof of active plan as authorized by the ministry (a copy of MLAS screen showing plan active or copy of permit as sent by the ministry at the time permit was issued).
- 4Proof of funding in the organization’s name to cover 100% of total project costs on the day the application is made (a bank statement is preferred).
- 5if available at time of application, a copy of a valid Certificate of Insurance for this project which includes the following:
Other Things to Note:
- 1Year 2 Intake Period: January 10, 2022 to February 15, 2022 for projects with eligible activities starting on or after April 1, 2022.
- 2Applications to the program will be assessed and approved on a first-come, first-served basis. The ministry reserves the right to either extend or reduce an intake round or add additional intake periods depending on the number of applications received.
- 3To support junior mining companies, Ontario is investing $5 million over the next two years (2021-2023) in the new Ontario Junior Exploration Program. Through the program, junior mining companies can apply for funding to cover eligible costs of up to $200,000 per mineral exploration or development project.
- 4Eligible Indigenous Capacity Activities are:
- 5If you have any questions or issues during this process, do not hesitate to contact the TPON Client Care at 1-855-216-3090 or 416-325-6691, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST or by email at TPONCC@ontario.ca.
- 6For questions related to OJEP and this guide, please contact ministry staff at OJEP@ontario.ca