Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) – Indigenous Forestry Initiative (IFI)
The Indigenous Forestry Initiative (IFI) provides funding to support Indigenous-led economic development in Canada’s forestry sector. Benefits of the program include:
- increased Indigenous participation in forestry-related opportunities, businesses, careers and governance.
- increased engagement and economic development for Indigenous communities and peoples involved in the forest sector.
- increased investment and collaboration between Indigenous peoples and other natural resource development stakeholders, including governments, industry and non-governmental organizations
Comments on Funding:
To be eligible for IFI funding, the applicant must have at least one partner who has agreed to contribute financially or in-kind to the project.
Applicants must be:
contact a regional liaison officer to talk about their project ideas and help determine if their project fits our eligibility criteria, funding limitations and/or get tips for writing your application;
create their online profile and complete their application:
✔ register for GCKey and create a client profile (this is a one-time step);
✔ complete the online application form.
The IFI will contact applicants after their submission is received. Next steps The IFI Secretariat will review applications for eligibility and completeness.
Eligible applications will be evaluated by an Expert Review Panel made up of subject-matter experts in the fields of Indigenous economic development, forestry and finance.
Other Things to Note:
- The Indigenous Forestry Initiative (IFI) accepts applications throughout the year. Submissions are reviewed periodically, subject to the availability of funds.
- Due to unexpected delays, notification of funding decisions for applications submitted before July 29, 2021, will be shared by February 28, 2022.
- From the funding expansion in Budget 2019, the IFI has allocated approximately $6.8 million to projects, with approximately $6.2 million available for 2021-2023. The Program has $1 million per year available beyond 2023
When It Ends: