Comments on Funding:
Elevate fellows receive:
- $55,000 minimum annual stipend/salary.
- $70,000 minimum annual stipend/salary for projects addressing at least one of the key priority sectors of artificial intelligence, biomanufacturing, clean tech, or quantum science.
Applicant’s partner organization’s financial contribution starts at $30,000.
Successful applicants receive a Mitacs Elevate award of $60,000 per year, renewable for a second year, for a total award of $120,000, as well as the mandatory research management training curriculum ($8,000 non-cash value over two years); a minimum stipend / salary of $55,000 per year is allocated to the fellow and up to $5,000 is allocated to research costs. Mitacs follows tri-council guidelines with respect to the use of funds towards eligible research costs.
Awards are typically forwarded annually as a lump sum of $60,000 to the supervising faculty member, to be held as a research grant at their home university, pending Mitacs receipt of the following:
– the $30,000 annual partner contribution
– where applicable, documentation that a $5,000 annual contribution will be made available to the fellow in lieu of provincial funding.
Visit our eligibility page to determine if additional funding is required for your application. any necessary documentation such as a Declaration of Conflict of Interest and/or other documentation as appropriate.
Postdoctoral fellow eligibility:
Eligible partner organizations to Elevate include:
NOTE: Please contact Mitacs to discuss the eligibility of an NFP organization before submission of the completed application package All research projects in collaboration with an NFP corporations must demonstrate an economic or productivity orientation such as creating new jobs, reducing costs of goods or services, or increasing productivity in a process or industry.
All research projects in collaboration with a hospital, or municipality must demonstrate an economic or productivity orientation such as creating new jobs, reducing costs of goods or services, or increasing productivity in a process or industry.
All Mitacs Elevate partner organizations must be Canadian or a Canadian location of a foreign-owned organization. They should be end-users of the research and must have an office or site where the fellow undertakes at least 50% of the fellowship interacting with the partner.
Academic Supervisors are eligible if:
- A completed application form.
- For postdoctoral fellow, please upload the following to your profile:
- For academic supervisor, please upload the following to your profile:
- For partner organization, please upload the following to your profile:
Other Things to Note:
- At this time, we anticipate announcing the awards in March 2022 for Elevate thematic applications and June 2022 for Elevate standard applications.
- Fall 2021 call for proposals has been launched!
- New for our Fall 2021 call! Eligible applicants are welcome to apply for our Elevate thematic funding opportunity for a total research grant of $80,000 per year for projects addressing at least one of the key priority sectors of artificial intelligence, biomanufacturing, clean tech, or quantum science.