Comments on Funding:
- technology transfer activities is up to a maximum of $5,000 (25%) for the Market Assessment, and half the cost supported by NSERC up to a maximum of 10% of the award for the other phases of the project. Institution or partner must cover the other half.
- market assessment is up to 75% of the costs of the project contracted out to a consultant. Funding is available for up to 12 months, with a maximum contribution from NSERC of $15,000.
- Phase I projects is available for up to 12 months, at a maximum of $125,000, and is non-renewable. NSERC will assume 100% of the direct costs of research for phase I projects.
- Phase Ib supplement is up to $60,000 for six months and can be made available for successfully completed phase I projects with high promise to secure an investor or a licensing company.
- Phase IIa (early-stage investment partner) should not exceed an average of $125,000 per year. NSERC can support up to 67% of the costs of the project with the early-stage investment entity providing the balance in cash. Additional funds needed from partner $62,500 (33%) (cost/risk sharing) Duration: 6 to 18 months.
- Phase IIb (partnership with a Canadian company)should not exceed $350,000 for the duration of the project. NSERC may fund up to 50% the cost of the project, with the company providing the other half through a combination of cash and in-kind contributions. Each case will be evaluated on its merits; however, it is expected that the cash component should equal at least 40% of the amount requested from NSERC. Duration: up to 24 months.
Applicants must be:
Eligible partners are:
Applicants must submit:
Other Things to Note:
Market assessment – up to one yearPhase I – up to one yearPhase IIa – from 6 to 18 monthsPhase IIb – up to two years