Comments on Funding:
OCE funding is up to 50% of total eligible project costs and ranges from $20,000 to $150,000.Mitacs funding is up to $7,5000 per intern per four- to six-month internship unit, with the Industry Partner Matching (Minimum) $7,500 per intern per four- to six-month internship unit.
- incorporated in Ontario for a minimum of two years and with a valid CRA business number;
- with a minimum od five full-time equivalent (FTE) employees in Ontario; is using or developing technology innovation or innovative processes for competitive advantage in provincial, national and/or global markets;
- with operations and/or R&D in Ontario related to the project and capacity to apply, exploit and/or commercialize results of the project for the economic benefit of Ontario;
- in good financial and reporting standing with OCE.
- with the necessary expertise and resources to put the project into effect within an appropriate timeframe.
Interns must be:
The company’s contributions to the Mitacs internship cannot be used as the same industry contribution in the OCE budget form. The company must provide a cash contribution of $7,500 in addition to the cash contribution required for the VIP project. Eligibility of not-for-profit partners and project economic orientation must be assessed by the Mitacs Business Development Manager prior to proposal submission.
The Industry Partner should connect with their Business Development Manager (BDM) to start the process towards initiating an application
If new to OCE, the Industry Partner should complete the Program Enquiry Form to be connected with a Business Development Manager to discuss VIP eligibility and how to start the application process.
If the opportunity is selected as eligible and suitable for the program, the applicant will be sent an auto-generated link to OCE’s online application system, AccessOCI, to complete the application. The application will remain open for 90 days.
The application including terms and conditions must be submitted (by either partner) to the post-secondary institution’s Research Office for endorsement.
The Research Office must then submit the application to the OCE Business Development and Commercialization Manager (BDM) for final endorsement and submission.
For Mitacs Accelerate-partnered projects, industry partner should send their contribution to Mitacs and Mitacs will release the funds to the post-secondary institution upon activation of the project by OCE. Applicants will be allowed to apply for more than one internship.
Other Things to Note:
Ontario Centers of Excellence (OCE) changed name to Ontario Centers of Innovation (OCI).