Comments on Funding:
Telefilm’s financing may not exceed:
- For projects whose Canadian budget is less than $1.5 million: the lesser of 49% of eligible Canadian production costs or $500,000;
- For projects whose Canadian budget is between $1.5 million and $3.5 million: one third of eligible Canadian production costs;
- For projects whose Canadian budget is greater than $3.5 million:
a) the lesser of 49% of eligible Canadian production costs or $3.5 million for French-language projects;
b) the lesser of 49% of eligible Canadian production costs or $4 million for projects in other languages.
Generally, the form of Telefilm’s financial participation will vary depending on the total project budget and, in certain scenarios, s the producer’s choice from among the following options:
1) For projects with budgets under $2.5 million: choice between a non-repayable contribution or an equity investment repayable at a rate of 10% of the Applicant’s entitlement to the production revenues, for a period of two years from the starting date of the project’s commercial exploitation;
2) For projects with budgets of $2.5 million and above: Choice between a repayable advance or a repayable equity investment.
Telefilm greenlight financial participation will generally not exceed 80% of eligible costs, up to a maximum of $250,000 and will be provided as an advance against Telefilm’s production financing. However, Telefilm may, at its discretion, consider granting a higher greenlight pre-production advance if the production financing is complex and time is of the essence to incur certain expenses. In such case, the greenlight financial participation may not exceed the lesser of:
- 80% of eligible costs;
- 25% of the amount of financial participation indicated in the production commitment letter.
A greenlight advance is only available at Telefilm’s discretion for higher-budget projects that have already received a commitment letter from Telefilm for financing in the amount of at least $1.5 million.
The applicant must:
Broadcaster-affiliated production companies based outside of Quebec that meet the basic eligibility criteria are eligible to apply.
Telefilm may prioritize projects whose key creative personnel (i.e. director(s) and/or screenwriter(s) and/or producer(s)) are members of communities supported through its Inclusion Initiatives: Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Gender-diverse identities and expressions, 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals, Persons with disabilities and members of Official Language Minority Communities.
Applicants must complete the online application form and upload the documents below: