Comments on Funding:
Financing offered by Telefilm to successful applications will be as follows, subject to the availability of funds:
- For the Production Stage – For projects whose Canadian budget is less than $500,000: the lesser of 49% of eligible Canadian production costs or $175,000;
- For the Production Stage – For projects whose Canadian budget is $500,000 or greater: the lesser of 35% of eligible Canadian production costs or $500,000.
- For the Post-production Stage: the lesser of 49% of the eligible Canadian costs or to $75,000 (a maximum financial participation of).
Telefilm’s financial support will vary based on the total budget of the project and depending on the choice of the applicant as follows:
- choice between a non-repayable contribution or an equity investment repayable at a rate of 10% of the Applicant’s entitlement to the production revenues, for a period of two years for projects having a total budget of less than $2.5 million;
- choice between a repayable advance or a repayable equity investment for projects having a total budget of $2.5 million or more.
If Telefilm’s financial participation is in the form of an equity investment, Telefilm will acquire a proportionate share of the copyright in the project.
The applicant’s choice as to the form of Telefilm’s financing may affect the amount of federal or provincial tax credits that the applicant is eligible to receive in connection with the production or post-production of the project. Consequently, the applicant must determine, in consultation with its professional tax advisors, which form of Telefilm financing is optimal for the project.
Note that the choice of method of financing for Telefilm’s funding must be clearly indicated at the time of contracting.
Additional eligibility criteria for the Indigenous Stream:
Applicants must complete the online application form and upload the documents below: