EURIMAGES – European Cinema Support Fund and Telefilm Canada – Support for Co-Production
Through the Support for Co-Production program, Eurimages promotes independent filmmaking by providing financial support to feature-length fiction, animation and documentary films. In doing so, it encourages co-operation between professionals established in different countries.
Comments on Funding:
Funding is in the form of a non-refundable subsidy or a conditionally repayable interest-free loan (advance on receipts).
Financial support shall in no event exceed €500,000.
In the case of fiction and animation projects, financial support shall not exceed 17% of the total production cost of the film, except for projects with one or more female directors attached, where financial support shall not exceed 25% of the total production cost.
Applicants (Eligible Producers) must be/have:
- legal persons governed by the legislation of one of the Fund’s member states, whose principal activity consists in producing cinematographic works, and whose origins are independent of public or private audiovisual media service providers.
- a company owned and continues to be majority owned, either directly or indirectly, by nationals of the member states. Legal entities which are not able to show the composition of their shareholding are not eligible.
- a production company considered independent, therefore eligible for funding, when less than 25% of its share capital is held by a single audiovisual media service provider or less than 50% where several audiovisual media service providers are involved. Producers ineligible for funding, because they cannot be considered independent, may nonetheless participate in the financing of the project if they are not direct beneficiaries of Eurimages’ support.
- producers who have previously received support from Eurimages and must have met all their contractual obligations to the Fund, in particular, where support has been received in the form of an advance on receipts, the submission of revenue statements for any project(s) previously supported by Eurimages and the payment of any outstanding amounts due.
Eligible projects must be:
- for feature-length fiction, animation and documentary films of a minimum length of 70 minutes, intended for cinema release;
- co-productions between at least two independent producers, established in different member states of the Fund, of which at least one is a member state of the Council of Europe;
- comply with the legislation of the countries concerned and the bilateral or multilateral treaties in force between the co-producing countries. For the purposes of these regulations, the awarding of national public support will be considered, where appropriate, equivalent to national accreditation (co-production status certificate) issued by the competent national authorities;
- conform to the cultural objectives of the Fund; and
- include a digital master for cinema release and compatible with norms generally applied in the member states.
Applicants must submit the completed application form online together with all of the items detailed both on the online platform and in the checklist published on the Eurimages website (www.coe.int/Eurimages), and must include relevant evidence of financing.
Other Things to Note:
There are 3 deadlines annually for co-production support.
New regulations for the support of co-production of full-length feature films, animation and documentaries in force as of 1 January 2022.
When It Ends:
January 11, 2023
March 30, 2023
September 12, 202