No Fixed Amount

Type of Program:

Tax Refund


The Government of Ontario provides businesses which buy gasoline for unlicensed equipment - such as equipment for farming, construction or manufacturing - a refund of the gasoline tax they have paid.

When It Ends:



Rolling deadline


Applicants must be businesses, who:

  • Used the gasoline in Ontario for business, industrial or institutional purposes
  • Paid tax to Ontario on the gasoline used,
  • Used an equipment which is not licensed or required to be licensed under the Highway Traffic Act.

Applications Steps:

Applicants must:


Download the Application for Refund Tax Exempt Usage (TEU),


Complete the application and mail it to the Ministry of Finance,


Keep one copy for their records.

Documentation Needed:

Applicants must:

  • Submit an application,
  • Support their claim for a refund with all records of gasoline use (a gasoline issue sheet, individual tickets or receipts that record the amount of gasoline used for unlicensed business equipment).

For refunds over $500 in a calendar year:

  • Include all supporting documents with their application.
  • Their records need to clearly prove the amount they are claiming for a refund.

For refunds of $500 or less in a calendar year, applicants:

  • do not need to send supporting documents with their application.
  • must keep their records for seven years in case the ministry audits.

About the author 


Maurice (Moe) Muise learned the ins-and-outs of government while an employee of the Government of Canada in Ottawa for 10 years. His current focus is helping small businesses in Ontario to identify and maximize government grants to grow their business.
Click here to learn more about Moe's background and how he can help your business.


You may also like

Research and Development Grants for Ontario Businesses (2021): 23 Government Incentives to Boost Your R&D

Research and Development Grants for Ontario Businesses (2021): 23 Government Incentives to Boost Your R&D
Success message!
Warning message!
Error message!