Amount:

$7,500.00

Type of Program:

Wage Subsidies


Description:

Gearing Up provides wage subsidies of up to $7,500 to mining employers who create new work-integrated learning (WIL) opportunities for students.

Gearing Up helps students develop skills and experience through WIL – aiding in their transition to long-term employment in the mining sector or the pursuit of advanced studies upon graduation. While Gearing Up is open to any eligible student, the program also encourages participation by underrepresented groups such as women in STEM, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, recent immigrants, first year students, and visible minorities.
Work-

Comments on Funding:

Funding is up to 75% of a student’s salary (up to $7,500) for WIL placements. This funding may not be combined with funding from any other federal programs.

There are two options for funding disbursement:

  1. 1
    75% of the total wage subsidy may be paid at the start of the placement and the remaining 25% of thewage subsidy will be paid at the salary threshold or at the end of the placement. or
  2. 2
    100% of the wage subsidy can be paid at the end of the placement or once the wage subsidy threshold has been met (minimum $10,000 of the salary has been paid).

When It Ends:

Ongoing

Deadline:

Rolling deadline

Eligibility:

Companies must be:

  • Canadian-owned or a Canadian subsidiaries;
  • small, medium, or large companies involved in the mining or mineral exploration sector;
  • post-secondary educational institutions;
  • not-for-profit organization.

Eligibility requirements for participants:

  • be registered in a full-time or part-time post-secondary program;
  • be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection given under the law;
  • be legally able to work in Canada according to the laws and regulations of the province or territory where they live';
  •  be studying in fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics and/or business.

International students are not eligible for a Gearing Up wage subsidy.

Applications Steps:

1

Application: Applicants must complete a simple one-page online form on MiHR.ca. 

2

Documentation: Upon approval, MiHR sends the employer follow-up documentation and information regarding next steps.

3

Invoicing: Once the completed documentation is received and the student is in place, MiHR confirms invoicing preference and pays the wage subsidy accordingly.

4

Training: The student and their immediate supervisor complete online: Gender Equity in Mining Works training, Introduction to Intercultural Awareness training and Indigenous Awareness Training provided by MiHR, prior to the end of the placement.

5

Post-placement survey: Both the student and their supervisor are asked to complete a post-placement survey about their Gearing Up program experiences.

Documentation Needed:

The employer will be provided with the following documents which must be completed and returned to MiHR:

  1. 1
    Gearing Up Agreement;
  2. 2
    Participant Information Form;
  3. 3
    Direct Deposit/Banking Information Form;
  4. 4
    Student Payroll Information (only at the end of the placement).

Other Things to Note:

Applications are currently being accepted for placements in the 2021-2022 program year (April 2021-March 2022).

About the author 

Maurice

Maurice (Moe) Muise learned the ins-and-outs of government while an employee of the Government of Canada in Ottawa for 10 years. His current focus is helping small businesses in Ontario to identify and maximize government grants to grow their business.
Click here to learn more about Moe's background and how he can help your business.

Tags

You may also like

Research and Development Grants for Ontario Businesses (2021): 23 Government Incentives to Boost Your R&D

Research and Development Grants for Ontario Businesses (2021): 23 Government Incentives to Boost Your R&D
Success message!
Warning message!
Error message!