No Fixed Amount
Type of Program:
Mitacs Accelerate helps build a research partnership a win-win partnership between Academics (students, postdocs and professors) and companies.
Comments on Funding:
Funding starts at $ 15,000 and the financial contribution of the partner organization starts at $ 7,500.
When It Ends:
Eligibility criteria for businesses:
Municipalities and hospitals in Canada are also eligible to apply.
Eligibility criteria for students:
Eligibility criteria for postdocs:
Eligibility criteria for professors:
A partner organization and academic researchers develop a research project.
Applicants submit their completed proposal via a Mitacs representative. The proposal should be written and submitted at least eight (8) weeks prior to the planned start date of the internship. For international travel, a minimum of 16 weeks lead time is required.
They get feedback on the proposal from all participants and their Mitacs business development representative
Applicants collect all required signatures: intern(s), professor(s), partner contact, and university Office of Research Services or equivalent and email the proposal package to his Mitacs Business Development representative.
What happens next:
Peer review of your proposal will take approximately six to eight weeks. Proposals with multiple internships or that require revisions may take longer.
Partner organizations will receive an invoice (refundable if not approved), so that the intern receives payment when the project begins.
Mitacs will contact all participants with the outcome and applicable instructions.
Mitacs forwards the Accelerate funds to the academic institution upon receipt of the partner contribution and the proposal’s approval.
A complete internship application package must include the following:
- 1The proposal completed and signed by all parties in Word format:
- 2Intern(s) CV (Any format is allowed. A CV template is available on the Mitacs website);
- 3Lead Academic Supervisor's CV for each participating academic institution only for projects with 6+ IUs (CCV as per Tri-Council or other CV format);
- 4Accelerate budget and invoicing schedule (Excel spreadsheet);
- 5Any supplementary documents (as applicable).
Completing their internship - Deliverables for projects with Canadian participants only:
- 1Final report template [pdf];
- 2Exit survey from the intern (survey link will be emailed within the first month of completion of the internship);
- 3Exit survey from the professor (survey link will be emailed within the first month of completion of the project);
- 4Exit survey from the partner organization (survey link will be emailed within the first month of completion of the project).
Other Things to Note:
Mitacs partners with provincial and federal government partners to deliver its suite of programs, as well as Canadian universities.