Northern Ontario Heritage Fund: Funding Guide for Business Owners
This guide for business owners covers current Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) funding programs, including conditional contributions, loans, and other types of financing for entrepreneurs. This is our dedicated “hub” page for NOHFC funding programs. We’ll continuously update this page to reflect changes in programs – so bookmark this page and check back often for updates!
The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) is an operational service agency established under the enabling legislation of the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Act.
Oversight of NOHFC falls within the mandate of the Ministry of Northern Development.
NOHFC’s objectives are set out in the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Act as follows:
- to advise and make recommendations to the Lieutenant Governor in Council on any matter relating to the growth and diversification of the economy of Northern Ontario;
- to promote and stimulate economic initiatives in Northern Ontario; and
- to commission studies and enter into contracts in connection with the objects set out in the aforementioned two objectives.
NOHFC’s vision is to be a catalyst for key strategic investments to stimulate economic development and diversification in Northern Ontario.
Its mission is to partner with communities, businesses, entrepreneurs and youth across Northern Ontario to create jobs and strengthen the economy.
NOHFC’s strategic priorities include:
- Innovation, Research and Development, and Commercialization: Supporting applied research and development projects and initiatives that lead to innovative products and services with commercialization potential.
- Creativity, Productivity and Entrepreneurial Development: Supporting an environment that promotes creativity, productivity, and entrepreneurial development.
- Partnerships and Collaboration: Maximizing opportunities to leverage NOHFC funding through partnerships and collaboration to ensure the success of projects and sustainable economic outcomes.
- Organization development and renewal to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, access, and delivery of NOHFC programs, as well as improve performance measurement.
- Increasing the awareness, understanding and recognition of NOHFC, its programs, and processes.
Some of NOHFC’s key priorities and projects for fiscal 2022-23 include:
You can learn about NOHFC’s priorities by reading its 2022-23 Business Plan.
Types of Funding NOHFC Offers
NOHFC offers financial incentives, including conditional contributions, loans and more.
NOHFC Funding Programs
Below are links to NOHFC’s specific programs:
NOHFC Main Office:
Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
Roberta Bondar Place 70 Foster Drive, Suite 200
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
General Inquiry: 1-705-945-6700
Toll Free: 1-800-461-8329
Sault Ste. Marie: 1-705-945-6701
General Enquiry: AskNOHFC@ontario.ca